|Tyr, our registered Icelandic ram, with Isa in the background|
Monday, Jared built some small grain feeders out of pallet slats, they are easy to move and transport and a perfect size for the sheep.We took some time to relax and consider garden plans for Spring. Our furnace stopped working on Monday night so we had to make a late evening run to Fred Meyer for space heaters.
Tuesday, Jared had to do the hay run to Hy-Grass Farm Dairy to pick up a load of orchard grass alone, so I could be here when the furnace repair person arrived. The problem was a relatively easy and a not too expensive fix; now the furnace is working as it should and the unused space heaters returned. Tuesday afternoon, we did some hoof trimming as little Thistle was limping a little. One look at her hooves and we knew why. We've trimmed them twice since she arrived on the farm in October and still they grow back very poorly. Until we see a major improvement in hoof confirmation and growth, we'll be trimming her hooves twice a month. Every other sheep at our place needed a little hoof maintenance but overall looked good. We also checked for signs of ewes being in heat and saw only one girl looking like she may be cycling. Later in the day, we checked on Vaca and the calves. They are healthy and happy however Vaca seemed a little more ornery than usual.
Wednesday, Jared was back to work so I got a lot of things done around the house. I took a new grain feeder over to the Icelandics and they loved it! Tyr ate most of it, even though the girls need it more than he does.
Thursday was moving day! the four Soay ewes and three Icelandics that have been living down the street on a neighbor's property were moved to some lush, fresh pasture in Redmond. I met Charmaine at the neighbors where we worked together to get all the ewes loaded up in the back of her pickup truck. The wethers had never been apart from their mothers but seem to have adjusted okay. Charmaine also needed to transport the stock tank and a bale of orchard grass from Spencer's to Jutta's, so we tied them to the roof of the cab. I guess they made it there okay. When I went to check on our Icelandics, they had somehow pulled the ground clip off the grounding rod, so the fence had no charge for I have no idea how long. I reconnected everything but the charge on the fence was very low. I was concerned about the low charge, so I checked on the fence again at 9:30pm and it was at 8,000 volts as it should be!
Today has mostly been housekeeping and record updating, along with some hay clean up at John's place so as not to kill off all the wonderful pasture while it's dormant. Cold weather is heading this way for the weekend, so we'll see what it has in store for us.